Friday, April 24, 2015

THE STORY OF MOON TAE-JONG–A KOREAN AMERICAN BASKETBALL PLAYER PLAYING NOW FOR THE LG SAKERS–A LIFE LIVED WITH DETERMINATION GROWING UP IN THE US, EU, AND NOW KOREA

At 39, Korean-American basketball player Moon Tae-jong runs an average of over 30 minutes per game and is still very much a clutch player. He is often a team's star player, who performs almost impossible feats in each game. Moon was once considered the best small forward at the top leagues in Europe, like Spain and Greece. He came to Korea five years ago to keep his promise to his mother of finishing his career in Korea, where she was born.
"I wanted to use my career to learn the culture in Korea, which I missed when I was young," said Moon, whose American name is Jarod Stevenson. "The media coverage in Korea is wide, and my mother's family can watch me play on TV. They are proud of me, and I like to see that."
Korean fans welcomed Moon with open arms when he first arrived in Seoul in 2010, but growing up Korean-American was not so easy.
"North Carolina is not the best place to live for people like me. When I got older, I saw it. Our family would go out for dinner, and people would watch us like ‘why is a black guy married to an Asian woman?' But it didn't bother me," said Moon during an Interview with The Korea Times.
Moon's youth basketball team knew that he was biracial, but this fact did not matter to the young athlete. He only played harder to prove himself. In Korea, Moon heard more discrimination than he experienced.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2015/04/136_177692.html

No comments:

Post a Comment