Sunday, June 15, 2014

AN AMERICAN VETERAN SOLDIER REMEMBERS THE KOREAN WAR 1950–1953 THAT STOPPED THE COMMUNIST EXPANSION FROM THE SOVIET UNION (RUSSIA) AND CHINA INTO SOUTH KOREA–FROM ARMY COL. RAY PADILLA–DEFENDING SEOUL AND BUSAN WITH FELLOW KOREANS

South Korea’s modernity, technological advancement and vibrant democracy are sources of pride for retired Army Col. Raymond Padilla, who fought fiercely against invading North Korean and Chinese troops during the 1950-53 Korean War.
But those features also remind him of the devastation of the war, bringing back dreadful memories of life-threatening moments on the battlefields, where he struggled for survival with his fellow U.S. and South Korean soldiers.

“This country was raped, ravaged and destroyed. How many buildings do you think I saw with roofs? What you have done is fantastic. It makes me proud because I wanted you to do this,” the veteran told The Korea Herald.
Padilla was in Seoul earlier this month to visit some of the battle sites including “Hill 296” south of Seoul, where he said he was born as a true soldier. He first arrived in the South in August 1950 as a private, less than a year after he enlisted in the U.S. Army.

“Absolutely, this (Korea) is my birthplace as a soldier. This has to be my birthplace,” said Padilla in a voice full of vigor that belied his age of 82. “What did I know when I first arrived here? I did not know anything, and then I saw the devastation (of the war).”

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140615000218

No comments:

Post a Comment